Portman-what? A portmanteau is a word that combines two different words to form a new one. Many English words are portmanteaus.
English is a language that borrows a lot from other languages, including itself. If you want to learn to speak English fluently, it helps to know how words are created in English. This will help you determine the meaning of other words.
Portmanteaus combine the sounds of two words to form a new word. The new word has a different but related meaning.
Here are some examples of portmanteaus.
1. blog – A blog is a website where someone writes his thoughts, activities, and experiences. It combines the words "web" and "log". A log is a record of someone's thoughts, activities, and experiences.
2. bionic – When something is bionic, it is made stronger because of electronic parts. It combines the words "biology" and "electronic".
3. brunch – This word refers to a meal taken after breakfast but before lunch. It is a combination of "breakfast" and "lunch".
4. cosplay – Cosplay is the practice of dressing up in the clothes (or costume) of a character from a movie, book or video game. It combines the words "costume" and "play"
5. email – This refers to the system we have for sending messages from one computer to another. It combines the words "electronic" and "mail".
6. Internet – This is the system that connects all computers from all over the world. It is a combination of the words "international" and "network".
7. motel – This word refers to a place where motorists, or people who travel in cars, trucks, etc., can stay overnight. It combines the words "motorist" and "hotel".
8. shopaholic – A shopaholic is someone who is addicted to shopping. It combines "shopping" and the word for someone addicted to beer, wine, and other kinds of alcohol, "alcoholic".
9. smog – This is the cloud of dirty air from cars, factories, etc., that can be found in cities. It is a combination of the word "smoke" and "fog".
10. workaholic – This is someone addicted to work. This word combines "work" and "alcoholic".
Keep visiting this blog for more portmanteaus and other English word lists.
If you want to improve your English vocabulary, we have online English teachers who can help. You can learn new words with English conversation lessons.
Schedule your free English lesson now!